The university’s contribution to transforming the prospects of the people of Birmingham and beyond stretches back though a succession of predecessor institutions for over 170 years.
The university enjoys historical strengths in the creative and performing arts: the Birmingham Government School of Design – the first college of design outside London – was opened in 1843 and Birmingham School of Music (later Birmingham Conservatoire) in 1886. Both were later incorporated into the university.
University status was achieved in 1992, and the new name of Birmingham City University was adopted in 2007, reflecting the university’s commitment to, and pride in, its home city.
Location , Transport
Birmingham is located at the heart of the UK's road and rail networks. There are three city centre railway stations, and the city is at the centre of Britain's national coach network, connecting directly with 500 destinations.
Locally, a network of bus and train services provides easy access around the city, including all of the university’s sites. This is supported by the Midland Metro, a tram/light rail system, which has improved access to the city even further, with more expansion planned.
Birmingham City University is currently in the process of moving the majority of its teaching onto a single site at Eastside, in Birmingham city centre.
Design and media courses moved there in September 2013, and Law, Social Sciences, English and Business followed in 2015.
Birmingham Conservatoire is due to move into its own new building on the same site in 2017. Other locations are the School of Art, School of Jewellery and (until 2017) Birmingham Conservatoire elsewhere in the city centre; the City South Campus in Edgbaston, home to the University’s health courses and, from 2017, Education, Sport and Life Sciences; and the City North Campus in Perry Barr, home to the School of Education (until 2017).